Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning


Taco seasoning is a staple in our house.  We love tacos!  I also use it for Brown Bag Burritos in a pinch if I'm out of one of the spices needed.  I use it to flavor chicken for Quick Quesadillas(recipe coming soon).  I'm sure there are more recipes I'll need it for in the future.  But buying those premixed packets at grocery store really bothers me.  At Giant Eagle, they cost $1.79 each!  That's insane!

This taco seasoning takes a few minutes to mix and uses spices you likely already have.  And the cost...pennies!

 Ingredients:

6 tsp chili powder
4 1/2 tsp cumin
5 tsp paprika
3 tsp onion powder
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like it!
1/2 tsp sea salt
 
Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.  Store in an airtight container.
 
To Use:

Use 2-3 tablespoons(depending on how spicy you want it) and 1/2 cup of water per pound of beef or chicken.
Simmer on low for 10 minutes.







That's it!  Isn't that easy? 

I decided to store mine in a Ball jar.  I printed out a small label so I know what's in there and another label for the back with the directions.



I wanted to make enough to fill this jar up, but I ran out of garlic powder.  I soon as I get more I'll be mixing up a double or triple batch!


Live Frugal.  Live Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...