Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Challenge: 30 Days to an Organized Home--Day 6 Results

Challenge: 30 Days to an Organized Home--Day 6 Results


This assignment seemed to take me FOREVER to get done!  Today was very busy.  But I got done, even if I'm a little late.

Here's my before pictures:

 Wow this cabinet looks pretty good, huh?  Well that's because I organized it and added a few baskets about 2 months ago, before this blog was born.  The four baskets house products that usually come in boxes.  We have a basket for each of the following: crackers, candy, snacks(fruit snacks, granola bars, etc) and the last is for cookies.  Yes this is our junk food cabinet for the most part.  Although you will find a few healthy things too(whole wheat crackers, nuts, craisins).


  Even though our snack cabinet is pretty organized, these other two cabinets needed some TLC.

About 6 months ago we had our first experience with Pantry Pests.  After throwing away countless boxes of cereal, rice & pasta,  I located the culprit, a large canister of oatmeal.  I tossed it and cleaned the cabinet well with vinegar and put several bay leaves on each shelf.   I also went to Big Lots and purchased 5 large containers for cereal.  

All & all this cabinet didn't need a lot of work.  I took everything out and wiped down the shelves.  I also replaced the bay leaves with new ones.  I got rid of a few old items I found shoved way in the back.  Then I put everything back in.


Much better!

I didn't get to tackle my baking cabinet until after dinner, but I did work on cleaning and labeling 7 jars I bought at The Dollar Tree 2 months ago when I did the first cabinet.


I love these jars!  They lock closed and create an air tight seal.  Plus they were only $1 each!

After letting them dry for a long time I began to label them.  I ended up getting these labels for free after coupon at Staples last night!  So excited about that!


Aren't they cute?  

Next I tore everything out of my baking cabinet.  Oh boy, there was ton of stuff in there!  Moving products like cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, sea salt, kosher salt and coconut flakes to glass jars eliminated lots of retail packaging that didn't stack or fit well together.
I would like to find a few larger glass jars for flour, brown sugar & powdered sugar in the near future.

I also added 3 small baskets(you guessed it...Dollar Tree!) to the top shelf.  Cupcake liners, food coloring, Crisco sticks and boxes of Jello fit in these nicely. 

I'm very happy with the results!


Check back tomorrow at 10am for the next assignment!
Now it's your turn!  Link up your results or leave me a comment on how your day went!  I would love to hear from you!

Live Frugal. Live Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...