Thursday, July 5, 2012

Challenge: 30 Days to an Organized Home--Day 3 Results

Challenge: 30 Days to an Organized Home--Day 3 Results



Today's challenge went really great for me.  Could be because I got a new Sony All-In-One computer on Tuesday!  I hadn't planned on getting a new pc when I organized this challenge.  However my old man, who gave me 8 great years, was finally done.  It was failing in more ways then I can count.  We held off as long as possible before spending money on a new pc for me.  But, I couldn't be happier!  I absolutely love her(Yes, my new pc is female, maybe because she's sleek and so pretty)!

Okay enough about my new pc and on with the organizing.  I had a serious mess on my hands after setting up the new pc.  My bills and supplies were scattered everywhere.  My printer was covered with papers(Okay that had nothing to do with changing out computers).  Here's my before pictures:

BEFORE: 

What a mess! And these wires have been a huge pet peeve of mine for a long time.  One issue we face is that we do not have a dedicated office space or even desks.  Instead, we have a huge kitchen with a counter area that is desk height.  That's where our computers live for now.  So, there's no desk to hid all the wires behind.  But I came up with a pretty clever solution:


OK, so it's not perfect, but it's leaps & bounds better!  I call this my advanced excess wire containment unit(or shoebox)!  I can't even take credit for this, other than the idea.  The hubster did all the work.  He's an IT geek and would probably have a mild heart attack if I started to disconnect everything.  

The shoebox already had  a 2 inch perfect circle hole in one side of it.  I took scissors and cut out a large square hole on the other side.  The hubster unhooked all wires, untangled them and got them all sorted out.  Then, he ran the wires through the box and to the power strip.  All the box really does is contain the excess wires.  After all, we don't want to put the power strip or our computers battery packs inside the box.  They get very hot and I assume they need some air circulation.

Here's a picture inside the box:

Well the inside of the box can use a few twist ties to keep them neat.  But we ran out so I'll take care of that in the next few days.  I didn't have any pretty paper to wrap the box in.  Maybe I'll find something soon, but I think the hubster would make me sleep on the couch if I undid all his hard work just to make the box pretty.  

So, now that the wires are contained, I can move on to sorting out my paper mess.  I went through everything I had sitting there and got rid of lots of old mail and papers.  I filed a few things, like our taxes that have been sitting there forever.  

I found a magazine file in the cabinet under my desk that was holding a few warranties and other paperwork.  I stashed those for the time being.  Paperwork organization is an assignment in this challenge and I have big plans for all the warranties & directions around my house.  I put the papers I need & refer to most in the magazine file.  I also put my current bills & checkbook there as well.


It works for me.  I was hoping to gain more space with the new all-in-one pc, but it ended up being much larger than I anticipated.

I found a small octagon jar in our basement jar stash(yes I save jars).  I cleaned it up and decided to use for pens & paperclips.


I might dress the jar up later.  Perhaps some twine tied around the top would be cute.

Our printer is no longer covered with papers.  I can actually see it now!


It didn't take me very long to get my computer area clean & tidy.  Now, I just have to keep it this way!

Here's a look at my before & after pictures:

BEFORE:


Just to show you the full evolution over the past two days, here's my computer area before the new pc:


AFTER:
I'm one happy gal today!

 Please check back on Friday at 10 am for the next 30 Days to an Organized Home Challenge!

Now it's your turn!  Link up your results or leave me a comment on how your day went!  I would love to hear from you!



Live Frugal. Live Happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...