Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shopping Results--Giant Eagle

Shopping Results--Giant Eagle 

Today's shopping trip wasn't one of my best.  I did get a few god deals and several things we really needed.  

When I first left the store, I was really bothered by my total being about $10 higher then what I figured.  I wasn't sure what I did wrong.  After I got everything home and unpacked, I began to review my receipt.  I found the $10 error and it wasn't my error.

I bought 2 value packs of sirloin tips steaks.  They are currently buy one get one free.    I chose 2 packages that were close in price & looked good.  This is what I normally do.  I didn't pay attention to the label on either package, other than the price.  The register charged me full price for both packages instead of deducting the lower priced package. 

The hubster took the meat & receipt back to store.  At first, the woman working the customer service counter told him they couldn't refund our money because these are not the same cuts of meat.  One label reads "USDA Choice Beef Round VP Sirloin Tip Steak" while the other reads "USDA Choice Beef Round Sirloin Tip Steak".  He told her they are the same cuts.  She still refused.  He requested that she call the meat department manager to come to the service desk and check.  The meat department manager confirmed that they were in fact the same cut, that they were BOGO Free and that one package was labeled wrong.  He also instructed the customer service woman to refund our money!  

If you plan to buy the steaks or roasts that are part of the BOGO Free sale this week, please check the wording on your packages to be sure they match.  Also, pay close attention when checking out to be sure that the lower priced package is deducted. 


Today I spent $52.73 on $99.62 worth of groceries for a savings of over 47%!

Like I said, not my best, but every penny counts!

Here's the breakdown:

Transaction #1 

Farmers Market Italian Salad $3.00
(50¢ e-offer should have been deducted but wasn't, I have to check on this too)

Hard Salami 1/4 lb. $1.25

Eckrich Bologna 1 lb $3.11

Giant Eagle Eggs 1 dozen 99¢

Bananas 50¢(Discount bag of 10 loose bananas)

Giant Eagle Hamburger Buns 99¢(Reg. $1.19)

Giant Eagle Bread 99¢(Reg. $1.19)

Schwebel's Whole Wheat Flatbread $3.09(Wow this went up 20¢!)
-(1) 35¢/1(DND) 
Final Price: $2.74

(2) Werther's Orginal Candy $2.00
-(2) 75¢/1
Final Price: 50¢ each

(2) Hot Pockets $2.00(Reg. $2.69)
(1) 95¢/2
Final Price:  $1.05 each

(3) Super Preztel $2.50
Special Promo:  Buy 2, Get One FREE
-(2) 35¢/1
Final Price: $1.20 each

(4) San Giorgio Pasta $1 (Reg. $1.69)

1 Sirloin Tip Steak Value Pack $10.28
1 Sirloin Tip Steak Value Pack $9.97
Special Promo: BOGO FREE
Final Price: $10.28

Giant Eagle 1% Milk $3.47

(2) Fiber One Plus Bars $ 3.00
Special Promo: Buy 2, Get One Free(Catalina for free product)
-(2) 75¢/1
Final Price for 2: $1.50 each

Smucker's All Natural Peanut Butter $4.29
No Sale/No Coupons
*This purchase was needed because we were out.  Just for comparison purposes, for years we bought Organic PB at Costco, 2 32oz jars for around $8.  This jar is 16oz and not organic.  The cost is much higher, but my choices are limited because Costco stopped carrying the PB :(  I'm researching how to make my own PB using the food processor.

(5) Barq's Root Beer $1(Reg. $2)
Special Promo:  FREE Giant Eagle Ice Cream wyb 5(a $3.00 value)
No Coupons
Final Price: $5 for R.B & Ice Cream(I see root beer floats in our future!)

(4) Soft Soap 7.5oz Pump $1(Reg. $2.19)
-(2) 50¢/2
Final Price: 50¢ each


 Total after all coupons: $52.73(after the $9.97 refund)
Total Savings: $43.00
FuelPerks Earned: 10¢
Catalina Earned:  Free Fiber One Plus Bars

Transaction #2

(1) Fiber One Plus Bars $3.00(Reg. $3.89)
(1) Free Box Catalina fro Transaction #1
Final Price: FREE

Total after all coupons: $0
Total Savings: $3.89


Not all shopping trips are going to yield a 60% savings and this is the perfect example of that.  I do feel that every penny I save counts!  I can say...I only saved a mere 47% and I usually do better.  Or I can say...I saved 47%!  That's close to 50% off regular prices!  And 50% off is great!

Live Frugal.  Live Happy.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...