Monday, June 4, 2012

Crockpot Roast Beef

Crockpot Roast Beef

I needed to plan an easy low maintenance dinner for tonight.  I was expecting my furniture to be delivered between 1 and 5 pm.  We usually eat around 5:30 everyday.  Thinking the delivery guys may show up closer to 5, being in the kitchen at that time just wouldn't work out.  I decided making one of the roasts(bought on Saturday as part of a BOGO free deal) in the crockpot was the perfect solution.  I love crockpot meals!  They are easy to get started and the end result is yummy!  Plus clean up is a breeze!  Here's how I make it:


Sorry I didn't get a picture when I first put it in.  I was on the phone and doing about 10 other things!

Ingredients

1 2-3 lb Roast(your choice.  I used a Bottom Round today that was 2.25 lbs.)
1 package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix(can make your own with this recipe from Food.com)
3 cups of water or 1 can of beef broth plus1 cup of water
2-3 pounds of potatoes, peeled & cut into bit sized pieces(keep in a bowl of water to prevent oxidation.  Can also use sweet potatoes)
1 package of baby carrots, rinsed

Place roast into crockpot.  Mix onion soup mix with 1 cup of water.  Stir until dissolved.  Add onion mixture and all other liquid to the crockpot.  Place on lid.  Turn crockpot on high until it begins to simmer, then turn down to low.  Approximately 2-3 hours before dinner will be served, add potatoes and carrots.  Turn crockpot on High again and simmer until vegetables can be poked easily with a fork.  You can keep your crockpot on warm until dinnertime. 

If you are more talented then me, you can make a nice gravy from the liquid in the crockpot.  I have not mastered this yet, but I still try every time!


The meat was so tender it fell apart.  The kids loved it and I was able to keep it warm for the hubster who's working OT this week.  Although my furniture got delivered at 11:30am, this meal was still perfect for my family today!

Cost of Meal:

Roast: $ 6.75
Onion Soup mix  25¢
Potatoes: $1.89
Carrots:  69¢

Total: $9.58 or $2.37 per person.  And we'll certainly have leftovers!



Live Frugal. Live Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...