Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baked Oatmeal

Baked Oatmeal


Oh My Gosh!  This recipe is amazing!  I saw it on Money Saving Mom (are you noticing this is one my favorite sites!) awhile back and have been meaning to try it out.  I was stalling because the kids refuse to eat oatmeal.  However, after making a half batch today, I think the kids might love this as much as I do!




Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar(or raw sugar)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoon milk
  • 3 cups oatmeal(regular or quick)
 Beat butter, eggs & sugar together using a hand mixer.  Mix in baking powder, salt, vanilla & cinnamon.  Stir in milk & oatmeal.  Prepare a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.  Pour mixture into pan and cover well. Can also use a Ziploc bag if you are freezing it.  

Freeze if desired.  


To Serve:  Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.  In the morning, bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes, until set in the middle.  I baked mine uncovered and the top got crisp(which was yummy).  Serve warm with milk.  I think fresh berries would be a wonderful addition to this.

If you want to serve it without freezing it first, refrigerate it overnight, then bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes.

Serves 6-8


Remember these pictures are of a half batch!


For my test run today, I did not let it sit.  I baked it right away and it came out fabulous.  I also used quick oatmeal that I bought accidentally and have been trying to use up with various recipes. Crystal at Money Saving Mom mentions that her family likes to sprinkle more sugar on top.  Perhaps the kids would like this, but I found it to be sweet enough without any added sugar on top.  I would suggest tasting it first and deciding if you would prefer more sugar.

For any dairy free folks out there, I'll be preparing a full batch tonight using almond milk.  I'll let you know how in turns out and what the kids think of it!

This recipe was such a breeze to make!  It was ready to go in the oven about 3-4 minutes before the over was finished preheating.  I'm all for easy & delicious!



Live Frugal. Live Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...