Friday, August 10, 2012

Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork

Crockpot BBQ Pulled Pork


Pulled Pork is one of the hubsters favorite dishes.  He LOVES it!  But when I think of making it a few things come to mind.  One...since we don't own a smoker, I'll have to make it in the oven...for 8-10 hours!  Not a good thing in the middle of summer!  Second...it's very fatty.  Well I think I found a solution to both problems!

Pulled Pork, made from a center cut tenderloin, in the Crockpot!  OK...OK...I'm not the mastermind behind this idea!  I seen recipes on several sites and decided to go with the one from All Recipes.  You can click on the link for the original recipe. Of course, I made a few changes :) 




Ingredients
  • 2lbs Pork Tenderloin, trimmed of any visible fat(I used 2 lbs because that's what I had.  If you use a larger tenderloin, increase cooking time)
  • 2 teaspoons Pork Rub(or McCormick Slow Cooker seasoning)
  • 2 -3 cups Root Beer 
  • Barbeque sauce(we like Sweet Baby Ray's)
  • Buns or Rolls of choice
My tenderloin was frozen solid even though I put it in the fridge the night before so I didn't trim it.  Next time, I'll thaw it completely and trim it. 

Rub the tenderloin with seasoning until covered evenly.  Place in Crockpot.


Add 2-3 cups of Root Beer, depending on the size of your tenderloin.  Just make sure it covers the meat to about the half way point.

Turn slow cooker on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.  If you are home, turn the meat every 2 hours.  Cooking time will vary by size of tenderloin and your crockpot.  Mine only took 4 1/2 hours on low!  It's done when you can easily pull the meat apart with a fork.


When the meat is done, remove it from the Crockpot and shred it.  Drain the liquid from the crockpot, reserving about a 1/2 cup.


Return shredded pork to the Crockpot.  Add a small amount of reserved liquid to keep the meat moist.  Add desired amount of barbeque sauce.  You can cook this on low for one hour or, if dinner is several hours away, keep it on warm.  You could also skip this step completely and serve with barbeque sauce on top.  I like to cook the meat with the barbeque sauce to allow it so soak up the flavor of the sauce.

Using a slotted spoon, scoop out meat and allow the juice to drain away before adding it a bun.  Add the toppings you like and enjoy!


We really liked this recipe.  I love how easy it was!  Did I mention that this recipe is also freezer friendly?  Next time, I'm going to make a larger tenderloin and freeze the leftovers!

To Freeze:

Portion leftover meat into freezer bags or containers, label & freeze.

To Serve:

Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
If you're like me and forget to take it out the night before, simply run hot water over the bag or container to loosen the contents.  It'll pop out easily! 


Live Frugal.  Live Happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...