Monday, June 18, 2012

Southern Sweet Tea

Southern Sweet Tea


I love sweet tea!  I feel in love with it while living in Atlanta for a short time in the 90s.  When I came back to Pittsburgh, I craved it, but I had no idea how to make it.  I tried several times and always failed in some way.  It would be too strong, too bitter or too sweet.  One day I was talking to my good friend(and southern gentleman),Danny.  I'm not sure how we got talking about sweet tea, but within a few minutes I had a REAL recipe from a REAL southerner!  I was stoked to say the least!  

I love the recipe Danny gave me.  I've been making it for several years now.  It's easy to make and delicious!




 
Ingredients

12 cups of water, boiling
1 gallon size or 2 family size or 8 cup size tea bags
1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar(I use 1 1/2.  Danny's recipe called for 2.  Adjust for your personal taste)
4 cups water, cold







 Directions

Bring 12 cups(3 liters) of water to a rolling boil.
Add tea bag(s) and allow to seep for 10 minutes.  Over seeping can cause tea to become bitter. 

 


While tea is seeping, add sugar to a 1 gallon pitcher.
When tea is done seeping, remove tea bags.  Pour hot tea into the pitcher.  Stir or shake until sugar is completely dissolved.








 

Add cold water and refrigerate.  Serve over ice.









Optional Garnishes:

Fresh Lemon slices
Fresh Mint
Fresh or frozen berries



Cost per gallon: approximately 60¢!
Cost per 8oz. Serving: 5¢!

I have no need or desire to buy bottled tea anymore.  This tastes great and I know what's in it.  And at 60¢ a gallon, the price can't be beat! 











The other day, while sipping my sweet tea, I told the hubster one of my daydreams...

I'd like to grow old in a large house is the south.
A house with a wrap around porch & porch swing.
A house with an old style wooden screen door that bounces each time someone comes running out.
A house with a big yard that has flowers, weeping willows & magnolia trees.
I want to sit on my porch swing, sipping my sweet tea, while watching our grandchildren play in the yard.

But that's just a daydream...for now!
 
   

Live Frugal. Live Happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...